Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Wanna Play? Some writing fun!

So, I did something with my short stories students yesterday and I thought, "How fun would this be to do this same exercise with some of my blogging friends?" By the time I woke up this morning, I was convinced that this would be a blast, so even though most of you have way too much on your hands anyway, I decided to see who might bite.

Here's what we'd do:

1. Create a list of things that you'd like to write about (ideas for stories)
2. Create, in a little more depth, three characters
3. Create some sort of conflict(or if you're feeling generous, a couple of conflicts and your victim co-author can choose which one he/she likes)

Once you're done, please e-mail it to me at jenshaines@aol.com (yes, my e-mail is different on my profile and I use that one, too, but the aol address is checked more frequently). Please send out this first step by Monday, October 22nd!

I will then randomly "shuffle" these, and send you someone else's characters, premises, conflicts, etc. Then YOUR job is to write a story based on what you're given.

We'll all be co-authors and have some fun! Since everyone seems to be wildly busy these days, let's shoot for having our stories finished and posted by Monday, November 12th, at the latest. (And for those doing Nanoblopomo - or whatever it's called - this will automatically take care of one entry). It would be more fun to all post on the same day, but I really don't want to be anal about this - just have some writing buddy time.

What do you think? Anyone out there interested?

14 comments:

anno said...

This sounds fun! You know all the ifs that are attached to any extracurricular commitments I'm making these days, but, if possible, I'll have something to you next Monday.

CableGirl said...

Oooh... this does sound fun! :D

Unknown said...

Sadly, I'll have to pass on this. It sounds like a lot of fun!

Carol said...

Oooooh! I'll play!! Sending you e-mail soon.

Carol

Luisa Perkins said...

Jen, this sounds so great! I don't think I can work it in, though, since I'm doing NaBloPoMo AND NaNoWriMo. I'll be watching the fun from the sidelines, though!

Anonymous said...

OMG. That sounds too much like work to me. (sigh)

soccer mom in denial said...

Well isn't this fun? I'll think of something....

Rebecca said...

shall try my hardest to play. sounds like fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, Jen! This sounds like fun. I've always got a stack of junk to do, but I'll make time for this. Yay!

Marianne Arkins said...

This sounds so fun! If I wasn't already Sweating and NaNoing, I'd jump in.

Have a blast!

Gunfighter said...

I'm so in it isn't funny!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like an absolute riot!! So do they all get posted so we get to see what someone else did with our list??? How cool would that be!

Count me in!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

What a great idea. I'm bummed I can't join in.

I just stared my re-write and my boss told me there is a huge stack of scripts for me to read sitting on my desk back in L.A.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I love this idea! Unfortunately I can't play this time, but I hope you'll do it again soon :)