Wednesday, May 21, 2008
What's Cooking Wednesday - Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler
Please go to Shan's place for more What's Cooking Wednesday participants.
I did have all that rhubarb to use up. I froze one bunch, and D requested cobbler for the second bunch. I veered from my local buys in terms of the strawberries, but soon it will be strawberry season and then this will be even tastier!
This is not a quickie dish. It's simple, but prepping the rhubarb and strawberries (4 cups of each), can take a long time. I suggest cranking up some opera. For this batch, I used Kiri Te Kanawa's Verdi and Puccini.
Jen's Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
4 cups of rhubarb, peeled and chopped
4 cups of strawberries, cut in half
1/4 cup of Grand Marnier (or Cointreau)
2 TBS cornstarch
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 TBS sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBS butter (cold)
2/3 cup lowfat buttermilk
1 tsp sugar to sprinkle over the top
1. preheat oven to 400.
2. Prep fruit. Pour into large bowl and mix in sugar, Grand Marnier, orange zest and cornstarch until well mixed. Pour into greased, 9X13 baking dish.
3. Put dry cobbler ingredients in a food processor. Pulse to mix.
4. Add in butter in small pieces. Pulse until course grains are formed. If you don't have a food processor, cut in with knives.
5. Pour in buttermilk and pulse once or twice to form crumbly dough. Don't overwork.
6. Sprinkle dough over fruit mixture. Sprinkle 1 tsp. sugar over the top.
7. Bake, uncovered, for 25 - 30 minutes - it's ready when fruit is bubbling and topping is golden brown.
8. Serve warm. 12 servings.
Number of Servings: 12
Total Fat 3.5 g
Saturated Fat 2.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.9 g
Cholesterol 8.2 mg
Sodium 134.9 mg
Potassium 278.3 mg
Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
Sugars 13.5 g
Protein 3.0 g
As always, nutrition information supplied by the recipe calculator at sparkrecipes.com.
And here are two more wonderful Strawberry Rhubarb recipes - a classic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie from Marye at Baking Delights and a scrumptious Rhubarb-Strawberry Compote from Paola at In My Life.