Wednesday, May 14, 2008
What's Cooking Wednesday - Sublime Squash-Apple Soup
Please go to Shan's place for more What's Cooking Wednesday participants.
Well, we've been making bread, and what goes better with bread than soup and salad? So the next few weeks we'll be exploring dishes in those categories. Today is an absolute family favorite - Sublime Squash-Apple Soup. This recipe originally surfaced somewhere in Boston in the 70s, and has happily made it thirty years later on a well-aged index card. There's no picture because I forgot the last time I made this, but I'll update later. And let's face it - it's just creamy, orange-colored soup, so you can picture that in your imagination.
Sublime Squash-Apple Soup
2 tart, medium apples (Granny Smith do nicely, but if you have some nice, local, heritage apples that will do the trick, so much the better)
2 TBS unsalted butter
2/3 cup chopped onion (whatever's freshest/local)
2 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth (preferably low sodium or home made - this can also be vegetable stock)
1 - 1 1/2 cups squash puree (see note)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (I used dried nutmeg and it worked fine)
3/4 cup 2% or 1% milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
pinch ground mace
pinch ground cinnamon
1 - 2 TBS bourbon, whiskey, brandy or sherry (optional, but much, much better with!)
freshly ground pepper to taste
Note - Squash Puree:
You can use frozen pureed squash and thaw ahead of time, or bake halves of acorn squash, cut side down, and bake at 350 until tender (about 1 - 1 1/2 hours). Mash when soft. Either works fine.
Once you have your squash puree in some form:
1. Peel, core and chop the apples
2. Heat butter in dutch oven or equivalent until foamy. Saute onion until very soft and caramel in color (about 10 minutes). Don't over brown.
3. Add stock, chopped apples, squash, salt, nutmeg. Stir. Heat slowly to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until the apples are tender (15 - 30 minutes).
4. Puree in batches in blender, or use an immersion blender if you're lucky enough to have one. Return to pan and stir in milk, cream, mace and cinnamon and simmer 5 - 10 minutes. Add the alcohol and the pepper, and simmer 5 minutes more.
5. Enjoy with Marye Audet's Savory Romano and Herbed Monkey Bread! (YUM).
6. Serves 6
Sublime Squash-Apple Soup
Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 6.3 g
Saturated Fat 3.7 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.7 g
Cholesterol 20.2 mg
Sodium 238.8 mg
Potassium 449.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 2.6 g
As always, nutrition information supplied by the recipe calculator at sparkrecipes.com. Enjoy!