Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday: Chicken Rose



When I was growing up, one of our favorite family meals was something my mother called "Chicken Rose". It was actually a change on a recipe, "Chicken Breasts Piquant" by Marian Burros and Lois Levine, from their
Elegant But Easy cookbook, a bastion of 1960s entertainment cooking. The original calls for LOTS of salad oil and a variety of other things that don't appeal to my healthier, adult tastes. Also, I always believe that more vegetables enhances just about anything, so I've had fun playing around with this and getting it to a point where my 21st century family enjoys it. It is, as Jaime Oliver would say, easy-peasy!
Enjoy!

Chicken Rose





Ingredients

3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into large chunks
2/3 package of frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
1 cup fresh cremini mushrooms, wiped or rinsed, and cut in halves

1/8 cup of canola oil
1 cup of rose wine
6 TBS lite soy sauce
4 packed tsp brown sugar
3 TBS water
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp oregano




Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. Whisk together canola oil, rose wine, soy sauce, brown sugar, water, ginger and oregano.

3. Place chicken and vegetables in dutch oven or casserole. Pour sauce over them.

4. Bake at 375 for one hour.

Great with rice, couscous or pasta.

Serves 4.


Nutritional Info


Fat: 8.2g
Carbohydrates: 11.5g
Calories:256.0
Protein: 24.0g

As always, nutrition information supplied by the recipe calculator at sparkrecipes.com. And please go to Shan's place for more What's Cooking Wednesday participants.

18 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Man I wish I could get all these ingredients easily. I'm making a list right now to send to my mom ;)

anno said...

There you go again with the cremini mushrooms and artichoke hearts -- even without the chicken, I bet I this would be great served with egg noodles. Yum!

Charity Tahmaseb said...

This looks like something even I could cook. I think I might give it a whirl.

Thistlemoon said...

This sounds really good Jen. I love nice easy recipes and you can't get a better combo than chicken and mushrooms!

Jan said...

Yummy !!!!! (((HUGS)))

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Yummy it is!

I sent you an email on the buttons... ;)

Wholly Burble said...

OK, I think I've got all the fixings in the house--and it sounds GREAT. I'm game. Thanks for sharing this tantilizing dish with us.

Shan said...

Sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

You know how to tempt me. Sounds delicous! Now, if I could only get you to come over and cook it!

La delirante said...

Hi! Once I tried to prepare a slightly different recipe and it was delicious!

Thanks for sharing!

Luisa Perkins said...

Oooh, this looks good. I feel like I'm in a recipe rut right now; this might be just the shake-up I need.

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks so much for stopping by my blog!! Yeah, it's cold out there eh? I love love love to cook and am always looking for new recipes, so I was excited to see this one today. I'm bookmarking you as we speak!!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Artichokes and cremini mushrooms are a great combination. Yum.

Alex Elliot said...

That sounds fantastic! I love artichokes.

Tara R. said...

Artichokes is one of the few veggies my 14 yo will eat... I'll have to try this recipe very soon. Thanks for sharing.

Etcetera - blog hopper

James Grayson said...

That looks delicious! I'll be back to print that recipe out for sure.

:beer:

Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds good! I may have to try that. :)

Anonymous said...

I want to ply tomorrow, can you email me with the instructions? I confuse easy.