Sunday, November 1, 2009

Slow Food Huron Valley's Local Harvest Cook-Off


Cook up a soup/stew, main dish, or dessert with local ingredients and you could be a ribbon winner at Slow Food Huron Valley's Local Harvest Cook-Off on Sunday, November 8th from 3 - 5 p.m. at the Chelsea Fairgrounds Community Building.

This family event is a wonderful opportunity to share your cooking prowess and support for all things local, as well as enjoy what will assuredly be a delicious potluck.

Old Pine Farm and Tantre Farm have helped to organize this potluck, contest and recipe swap, and in addition to the food and judging, there will be music, prizes and great, family fun. Alber Orchards is also a sponsor for this event. Chef Alex Young of Zingerman's Roadhouse, Corbett Day, Lenawee County Culinary Arts Dept head/chef, and Natalie Marble, owner of Ann Arbor Cooks cooking school (and fellow annarbor.com contributor) will be the Cook-Off judges, and prizes will include jams and local produce, among other goodies.

You could go home a blue ribbon winner by putting together a dish with as many local ingredients as possible in the following categories:

- Soup/stew
- Meat main dish
- Vegetarian main dish
- Vegetable side dish/salad
- Dessert/bread


Please bring: your dish to pass, your place settings, and 30 copies of your recipe to swap. Slow Food Huron Valley is also making this an opportunity to benefit Food Gatherers - so please consider bringing also nutritious non-perishable food or a check for Food Gatherers (which will be eligible for a Michigan Tax Credit).

Deadline for entry in the cook-off judging: 3:15pm.
Chelsea Fairgrounds location: 20501 Old US 12 (at Old Manchester Rd.)
Questions: leadership@slowfoodhuronvalley.com


All photos by Jennifer Shikes Haines.

NOTE: The Slow Food Huron Valley website is having some technical difficulties and, as a result, this event is not listed currently (nor are future events). The information in this article is accurate and comes from the organizing committee. If you have further questions about the event, please contact leadership@slowfoodhuronvalley.com

17 comments:

anno said...

Yum... sounds like a good food occasion (and for a good cause, too!) Sure hope there's a cookbook coming out of this, because we're tied up with a bookbinding workshop that day...

Jen said...

I *could* be persuaded to copy recipes for you... ;-)

Ivy said...

Pity we are not there to participate. Sounds like a great event.

Brian Miller said...

mmm. sounds like the place to be!

Mae Travels said...

You lead the way to the most interesting events! And I'm glad to see you haven't really given up blogging.

Mae Travels said...

I went to the Huron Valley Slow Food links and none of them actually mentions the event you are publicizing. They have not been updated recently. Puzzling!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This sounds like a fun event and an excelelnt way to highlight local ingredients.

Jen said...

Mae - I know that, but the event is, indeed, happening. I think the links haven't been updated because the webmaster has had her hands full working on too many things (ie. planning most of the events!)

I'm pretty excited about this one - it's right up my alley! And yes, I haven't given up blogging - I just needed a break for a bit.

Ivy and Brian - it would be wonderful if you both lived closer and could attend!

Val - I bet something like this would be a big hit in BC!

Virtualsprite said...

This sounds like a really cool event. I wish I lived closer so I could participate!

Anonymous said...

Cool! I wish I could join...well, mostly to sample the food! x-p

Jen said...

Virtual - That would definitely be cool - I'd imagine your neck of the woods might sponsor something like this, too?

Burp - I don't know... you seem like you might have a great dish to contribute, too!

Liz Dwyer said...

Huzzah for non-micorwaved food! Slow food wins in our house. :)

Jen said...

The thing that's great about it, Los A, that you already know, I think, is that it REALLY doesn't take any longer to prep than convenience foods.

Jackie at Phamfatale.com said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Time to dust off my slow cooker in my garage and start using it for this season. Your post inspired me to make more stew. Thanks!

Momisodes said...

Oh how I wish I could go. I am always in need of slow cooker recipes and ideas.

Jen said...

Jackie and Momisodes - it's actually more of an event that shows off the merits of cooking from scratch, rather than convenience foods, although I'm sure plenty of slow cooker foods will still be represented.

Jeanie said...

This sounds really great! If Rick and I are uncommitted that day, that would be fun to come to! I'll have to get out the recipe book!