Tuesday, July 21, 2009
What's Cooking Wednesday - Blueberry/Lemon/Cornmeal Muffins
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a woman (or man) lounging about on a lazy summer afternoon must be in want of a good book, lovely sunshine and some fine refreshment.*
And so I found myself, back from vacation, ready to embrace the pleasures of Ann Arbor summer. I was also in "want" of returning to healthy eating, after a week of cruise ship cuisine (the less said about that, the better).
After about 10 minutes of prep and 25 minutes of cooking time, I was ready to move out to the porch with Shannon Hale's Austenland, my muffin and a cold glass of lemonade.
*apologies to Jane Austen
A2eatwrite's Blueberry/Lemon/Cornmeal Muffins
2 cups blueberries, preferably fresh
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 cup ww pastry flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
zest from one small lemon
1 cup lowfat buttermilk
1 tsp lemon extract
lemon juice from half a small lemon
1 tsp granulated sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Spray a 12-muffin pan with cooking spray or an oil atomizer.
3. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients, through the lemon zest.
4. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, then whisk in the buttermilk, the lemon juice and the lemon extract.
5. Blend the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, being careful not to over stir.
6. Stir in the washed blueberries.
7. Using a melon baller or other scoop, fill the muffin pan openings as completely as possible.
8. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until golden brown on top.
9. Cool in pan on wire rack for 3 or so minutes, then remove, loosening muffins with butter knife, and continue to cool on rack out of the pan.
* Servings Per Recipe: 12
* Amount Per Serving
* Calories: 102.2
* Total Fat: 1.5 g
* Cholesterol: 38.0 mg
* Sodium: 141.7 mg
* Total Carbs: 20.6 g
* Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
* Protein: 3.9 g
As always, nutrition info supplied by the recipe calculator function at Sparkrecipes.com.
Please go to The Fairy Blogmother for more What's Cooking Wednesday participants.
THE MISSING INK CONTEST WINNER!
THE MISSING INK contest winner was Momisodes, as selected by the Random.org. Momisodes, please drop me an e-mail at jenshaines at gmail dot com and send me your information so I can get this wonderful book to you!