Friday, February 15, 2008

Flashback Friday: High School Memesical!



For more tales of ancient history, please drop by Cable Girl at 42.


I got this from wonderful, opinionated, and all-around-great-dad,Gunfighter. It seemed to fit a flashback idea and since my brain is stuck, this seemed like a great compromise.

This meme is about your high school experiences. If you decide to play along, answer these questions about your SENIOR year of high school.

1. Did you date someone from your school?

This was the only year I didn't. I had a college bf for the first part of the year whom I'd met working at a summer stock theater the summer between Junior and Senior years. I also was fixed up with a friend's cousin for a bit and had a brief fling with a guy from my neighborhood.

2. Did you win anything in Seniors ‘Who’s Who’?

Um... we didn't really have that, but I think I won some kind of award that had to do with fake snow being dumped on me because I'd had to build a snow machine for my set designs for La Boheme, which we did Senior year, believe it or not.

3. What kind of car did you drive?

Hey, I'm from NYC. The subway was my transport.

4. It’s Friday night…where are you?

Hmmm... this is so funny, because other years it would definitely have been at a party, hanging out with friends, hanging out at the West End, or seeing Rocky Horror Picture Show. Senior year I was home a lot. Many of my friends had graduated, my main group of buds were boys who had been "discovered" by a group of giggly Freshmen girls and who made me nauseous, and oh, yeah, there was that bf up in Connecticut.

I also was at theaters a lot on Friday nights - working, usually.

5. Were you a party animal?

Not really, although I really, really loved to dance.

6. Were you considered a flirt?

Um. Yeah. A tremendous one.

7. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir?

Nope, I was the head of the backstage crew. ;-)

8. Were you a nerd?

In English, Foreign Languages and Art, yes. In everything else, a resounding no.

9. Did you get suspended/expelled?

Nope. A. that didn't happen very often in my school and B. I think I was considered a pretty good citizen by Senior year.

10. Can you sing the fight song?

We didn't have one. We did have a school anthem that was something in Latin and the only thing I can remember is "Gaudeamus" (I think).

11. Who were your favorite teachers?

Ken Hubner (English), Bill Werner (English), Ken Hubner (English), Bea Kreloff (Art), Ken Hubner (English), Joanne Brown (Art History), Ken Hubner (English), and Ralph Dressler (Advisor for Stage Crew and my mentor in set and lighting design).

In case you can't tell, Ken Hubner had an enormous influence on me. Probably part of everything I am today was due to his classes. Ralph Dressler was also a wonderful mentor and teacher and had the patience of Job.

12. Where did you sit during lunch?

We had an open campus, so I was usually at a diner down the road from school, hanging with friends.

13.What was your school’s full name?

Fieldston

14. School mascot?

I think it was an eagle, but I don't remember

15. Were you on homecoming court?

We didn't do this sort of thing. It was the late 70s and all that stuff wasn't "cool."

16. If you could go back and do it again, would you?

Hell no!

17. What do you remember most about graduation?

That there was an incredible rain storm and we were moved inside at the last minute. That the love of my life was being accompanied by my best friend (it was a somewhat random draw - didn't mean anything - and I walked with another good, good friend, but it still bugged me), and that our class student speaker actually rocked. He was a kid I had only known somewhat before and I was really touched and amazed by his speech.

18. Where did you go senior skip day?

We didn't do this. We kind of skipped the whole last month. During the last month we did Senior Projects - no classes, just special projects or internships. I designed lights for the Senior Project Play - Woody Allen's "Don't Drink the Water" and I worked at the Manhattan Theater Club for a show they were doing. Five of us had that internship and we had a great time.

20.Were you in any clubs?

We didn't have "clubs" really. I was involved in backstage stuff. Duh.

21. Who was your Senior prom date?

We didn't do Prom. (See above). We *did* have a senior dance, but we weren't really supposed to have dates, because it might make others feel bad. I had dinner first with my (very platonic) friend Tommy, and we went to Benihana and watched the flashing knives and had too much sake (these were the days when the legal drinking age was 18). Then we took the subway up to school and got a lot of funny stares. Probably due to the sake and the fact that we were in fairly formal clothing on the subway.

22. Are you planning on going to your 10 year reunion?

I went. I haven't gone to any of the reunions since. It was kind of weird. There was a lot of snobbery and posturing. More than there had been in high school, actually.

23. Do you still talk to people from high school?

Occasionally. There's one friend, Erin, who I wish I could really find again. I miss her greatly. We lost touch, and she's lost touch with other folks who knew her, too.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try not tot hink too much about highschool, but it was fun reading your memories and comparing the differences to highschool in the '90's, especially cause my senior year was post-Columbine and that changed things a lot.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Your meme brought back some memories.

Two of my good friends went to Fieldston and loved it.

Jen said...

Lilac - how were your days different post-Columbine? Was it more in terms of tight security, and not trusting the students? Were you from that area at all?

NYC - it was a great place to go to school, in many ways. I also spent four years in culture shock there, in other ways. I was very, very lucky to get the education I got there, however.

Goofball said...

hmm this meme is sooooooo American oriented. I'd have to write "does not apply" in half of the things. But seems like you have a few 'does not apply's as well.

anno said...

A school fight song in Latin? Wow! Seriously, this sounds like a great high school experience.

Brillig said...

Hahaha. Loved this. SO much fun to read! We totally would have been friends...

painted maypole said...

high school memories are so funny, in that we thought so much about it all while it was happening, and we look back on it now and sort of shake our heads. at least, I do.

Anonymous said...

Oh, was high school ever a nightmare for me. lol But this meme *almost* makes me nostalgic. ;)

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Wow, this is nice...memory lane, ah how fun!

Btw, I
>TAG
you...yes I did. :D

Luisa Perkins said...

I so love that you went to Fieldston. Fun Flashback!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on #16! No way would I go back to high school! LOL!

Happy Friday! Blog Hoppin'!
"Margarita Mom"

Karen MEG said...

Great meme! You remember so much!
Bloghoppin' Pomtini

Anonymous said...

Hey cool meme idea! I was also on stage crew, but I despised it. All it did was remind me everyday that I didn't get picked for an acting part. I still get bitter seeing backdrops on a stage. I need more beer...

DIXIECHICK said...

Oh, High School Flashbacks..the memories...how I try and forget them.

Bloghoppin"
Dixiechick

Sarabeth said...

That was interesting. I don't think I could remember the answers to many of those questions, and it hasn't been that long.

Blog Hopping--HP

Anonymous said...

This was really fun.

I didn't go to my ten year reunion, but I have no doubt that it was not something I would have enjoyed. I'm still debating the 15 year...if I can lose the weight fast enough.

Blog Hopping ~Fine as Wine (Nat)

Mimi said...

Oh no! You brought back High School Memories!

Never been back...

Yes, I was a band geek.

Jenn in Holland said...

Oh, this is fabulous Jen! I love a memory meme...
And you are so funny with the recall. What a wild ride that time is...
I didn't do my 10 year reunion and heard about it the same thing you said about yours--too much snobbery and posturing. I did, however, go to my 20 year reunion and that was a total, total blast! I would do THAT again any time. Not high school though...

Honeybell said...

This is a great meme . . . Having gone to an all girls high school, mine would be boring though!

DrunkenHoney - blog hoppin'!

Alex Elliot said...

I didn't realize you're from NYC. My husband is from there as well.

Anonymous said...

I loved this! Your high school experience was quite different from mine...Senior year was ALL ABOUT Prom and Senior Skip Day and Homecoming and all that junk.

I did go to my 10 year high school reunion. Julia was just eights weeks old - I took her to show her off, so we didn't stay long. I have the feeling I wouldn't have such great memories of that reunion if I'd stayed longer.