I got this meme from Michelle, at Bleeding Espresso, who first saw it at Sundry Mourning, who originally copied it from Gwen’s Petty, Judgmental, Evil Thoughts back in 2004.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
I became a "professional" food blogger and learned that it's not something I enjoy doing.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I make goals, rather than resolutions. I'm getting close to meeting some of them and haven't touched some of the others.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! Gorgeous Aiden Van Erik Tyler was born!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A quiet year with no major family traumas.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 20th - the Inauguration - what a day!
March 26th - the day my mother moved to Michigan.
May 26th - the day my mother moved to her new home in Michigan.
July 5th - the day Aiden was born.
September 22nd/23rd - the days Sarah and Amy turned 25, respectively. YIKES.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Starting a yoga practice, as odd as that might sound.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I'm trying not to put things in these terms.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Ugh - let's not even go there.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Three books by four friends: Luisa Perkins's Comfortably Yum, Karen E. Olson's The Missing Ink, and Charity Tahmaseb's and Darcy Vance's The Geek Girls Guide to Cheerleading.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
many ordinary people with their heart in the right place (I'm using Goofball's answer here, because I like it!)
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Intolerant people. Those who claim to be one thing, but behave in ways that show they don't stand for what they say they stand for.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The local food/artisan food movement in Michigan!
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
"At Last" sung by Beyonce to the new First Couple.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
happier, same, same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
reading books (ditto Goofball again - it's true!)
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending New Year?
with family at home
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Um... well, continued to be in love?
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't think hate is a useful emotion.
25. What was the best book you read?
Really hard to say - I loved many.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Again, hard to say. I like Owl City at the moment, but only in small doses.
27. What did you want and get?
Some more free time or permission to myself to take it.
28. What did you want and not get?
Enough of that time. Health and life for loved ones of friends who died.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
I can't pin this down, either. Maybe Julie and Julia, just for Meryl Streep/Stanley Tucchi.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
For the big 5-0 I sat in a small ship's cabin waiting for maintenance to do something about the black bilge water coming up through our bathroom pipes. Then we had a nice French dinner in the evening. It wasn't my favorite birthday, despite the French dinner.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Fewer crises for family and friends. More political change in the U.S. than what has actually happened. I'm worried our system is irreparably broken.
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
33. Who did you miss?
Not seeing enough of my exchange daughters/son.
34. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Eat rhubarb wet from the rain
Beautiful fruits all the same
Pears, oranges, and grapes from the vine
Children it is the earth's time." From "Children Play with Earth" by Arrested Development
35. I wish you all a happy satisfying healthy loving 2010. Have a good celebration and a fun start of the new year. All best wishes to you all!!!!!