1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
This year, a lot of cookie tins, as I'm making cookies as a major part of my family gifts. We usually do a mix of all kinds of wrapping, though.
2. Real tree or Artificial?
Neither. Given our mixed background (Jewish/Christian/Secular) our decorating usually runs to roping or a wreath that we decorate:
3. When do you put up the
The weekend after Thanksgiving. And we always have hot chocolate and homemade cookies of some sort. And a fire.
4. When do you take the tree down?
When pine needles start being a danger to the guinea pigs (they are poisonous to piggies).
5. Do you like eggnog?
Adore it. Especially Calder's Eggnog. The guy at Plum Market described it as crack cocaine, and I think he's right. Calder and a shot of rum and I am absolutely in the holiday spirit!
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
Lite Brite. And interestingly enough, my first professional career was as a lighting designer for theater. Coincidence? I think not.
8. Easiest person to buy for?
No one, because I truly, truly hate to shop. Easiest person to find gifts for? Maybe C, because he's not fussy.
9. Do You have a nativity scene?
No. We do have assorted Christmas settings, decorations from our exchange students, though, such as Swedish Star Child and Lucia candle holders and one of those things that whirl around when you light candles. Oh... and our favorite - a beautiful Santa hand-carved by our German daughter's mother, Margareta.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Um... depends. This year, I'm not sure. We usually send AFTER Christmas, though, and do more of New Year's greetings.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Um... sorry, D, but it was that shoe bag you gave me for our first Christmas together.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Probably Scrooged. And the original Miracle on 34th Street.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Whenever I see something that will work for someone for Christmas.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
In a sense, but I haven't regifted specifically.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
16. Lights on the tree?
We've done New Year's lights instead - pigs and chili peppers (don't ask).
17. Favorite Christmas song?
This is truly impossible for me to answer. I am a REAL Christmas music fanatic. I may have more Christmas music than any other category. There are so many that I love. Particular favorites right now are "Mistletoe" by Colbie Caillat, "Winter Song" by Sarah McLachlan, "Angels We Have Heard On High" by the Roches.
18. Travel for Christmas or stay home?
Usually we get to travel to my wonderful, fabulous, lovely sister- and brother-in-law! We're going there this year and we can't wait!!!
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeers?
Dasher, Dancer, Donner, Blitzen, .... um... no.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Growing up we always had a star and a dove.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Both. We do a gag gift exchange, which is great fun and has a lot of rules, at my SIL's house on Christmas Eve. We usually open family presents with my BIL, SIL and nephew on Christmas morning.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
Shopping, shopping and shopping. And people getting stressed out when the holidays should be about love and reflection.
23. Favorite ornament theme or color?
Love those pickle ornaments! (Just the one you hide, though).
24. Favorite Christmas dinner?
Roast beef, yorkshire pudding, steamed green beans, squash pudding and mince pie.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year?
Baking, from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan